Thursday, May 23, 2013

Daingerfield SP


I took some time to visit Daingerfield State Park a couple weeks ago for a kid free weekend getaway with my hawt lady. We were hardly surprised at our typical luck of being assigned the camp cul de sac shared with a Boy Scout Troop. Not too romantic, but we made it work!

It's a great little lake to take a family. The park has clean and updated amenities including a fishing pier, hiking trail, and park store. The restrooms and showers are especially clean!

The fishing pier is super large, lighted, and nice, with built in seating and a cleaning station close by. The water was crystal clear and I had a good time watching the little blue gill steal the wigglers of my #6 bait hooks. Additional pier entertainment included casting for the hawt lady's new pink fishing hat that drifted away after a wind gust blew it off her brain. I was finally given worth that day after about 20 casts, a tackle switch, and a line snarl with the hawt lady. A separate pair of pier visitors claimed it as the "catch of the day"!

A well maintained 2.5 mile hiking trail circles the lake.
I was coerced into making the trek with my condition that we bring along our fishing rods. My request proved to be pointless. The trail is lacking in bank fishing spots. I would recommend renting one of the boats for fishing towards the bank. The dam area seemed to be a popular place for the small boats to gather. Fallen timber skirts the bank. My lone cast ended with a snapped line from hooking a log (tree bass). Some of the shallow areas are packed with white flower topped lily pads. Other siting’s included lizards, turtles, frogs, birds, and wildflowers. The pace of our hike at one point went to turbo after we saw a huge black snake with yellow stripes!

The park store is located by a beautiful swimming area. They sell snacks, drinks, ice cream, souvenirs, and fishing worms! For an affordable fee you are able to rent paddle boats, canoes, and kayaks. The friendly host advised us to visit Bailey's Hardware Store for minnows. (For some reason I can't find the place on Google maps so I dropped a marker on my map if anyone is interested.) Be sure and purchase some of the fire color changing sticks that they sell at the park store. They make camp fires psychedelic!

Web researching the lake I learned the lily pads are often the location for chain pickerel, an uncommon species in the north Texas area. My next visits of this beautiful park will definitely include a canoe rental and chain pickerel hunt! I loved this place and can't wait to return with the kids.
 Lone cast
Hawt Lady
         TWF

No comments:

Post a Comment